Welcome to the Online Membership Application for the American Association for Cancer Research. We appreciate your interest in membership in the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) and we look forward to welcoming you to our scientifically vibrant Association. Please review the membership categories below to choose the category that best fit your current qualifications.
Click the Membership Type below to start a new application.
Click here to resume an application for ALL Other Membership Types.
Click here to resume an application for Associate Membership.
Active membership is open to investigators worldwide who have conducted two years of research resulting in peer-reviewed publications relevant to cancer and cancer-related biomedical science, or who have made substantial contributions to cancer research in an administrative or educational capacity. Evidence of patents relevant to cancer research may be provided as qualifications for membership in lieu of peer-reviewed publications. Annual member dues required.
Associate membership is open to graduate students, medical students and residents, and clinical and postdoctoral fellows who are enrolled in educational or training programs that could lead to careers in cancer research. (Scientists in training who already have a substantial record of publications may wish to apply for active membership, which confers full benefits of membership.) Annual member dues are not required.
Affiliate membership is open to qualified individuals who are health professionals working in support of cancer and biomedical research and educators or other professionals who are interested in and/or make substantial contributions to the cancer field. Survivors and advocates who are members of organizations whose mission includes the advancement of cancer research are encouraged to join as Affiliate-Advocate members. Annual member dues required.
Student membership is open to persons who have manifested an interest in cancer and related biomedical science and who are enrolled in a program leading to a high school diploma or bachelor's degree. Annual member dues are not required.
Before you begin, you will need the following supporting documents to complete the online application.
- Documents: A copy of your most recent curriculum vitae and bibliography (Candidates applying for student membership should submit a resume.)
- Nomination: Name and AACR Member Number of a nominator who is an Active, Emeritus or Honorary member in good standing. (Active candidates require TWO nominations). Candidates for Student membership can provide include a school advisor, mentor, dean, or principal. If you are unable to procure a nominator to support your application, please send a request that includes your name, institution, City, State, and Country to email@example.com and we will be happy to provide a list of eligible nominators.
- Affiliate and Student Member Candidates Only: Cover letter explaining the reasons for the candidate's interest in joining, his or her particular qualifications for this membership category, and the benefit(s) he or she expects to derive from becoming a member.
- Affiliate Member Candidates Only: At least one recommendation letter from an Active, Emeritus, or Honorary Member which comments on the candidate's current research activity, the candidate has within the department, and why the nominator feels the candidate should apply for Affiliate rather than Active or Associate membership.
- Student Member Candidates Only: AACR Student membership is open only to individuals enrolled in high school or undergraduate programs. Graduate level students must apply for AACR Associate membership.
- Payment: Payment of first year's dues must be submitted with the online application. Credit card information will need to be provided in order to complete the application submission. Membership is free for undergraduate and high school students applying for Student membership.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All required documents must be available when you begin the online membership application. You will not be able to return to an incomplete application once you exit.
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to receive correspondence regarding your membership application submission. Should you have any additional questions, please view the Membership section of our website, or contact us at email@example.com, or (215) 440-9300.